Where to buy clean Tortilla Shells


where to buy healthy tortilla shells

If your family is like mine, taco night is a weekly ritual not be messed with.  No other meal pleases the family more, as each member can be the architect of their own meal.    My tacos are always  the same.  One very soft tortilla, meat, a little cheese, my favorite salsa and a dollop of sour cream.

Recently, I began making super easy home made taco seasoning.  Of course that led me to wonder... where could I find clean tortilla shells?   You'd think tortilla shells would be simple to make, but check out all the ingredients in a simple Old El Paso flour tortilla:


Enriched flour bleached (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, glycerin, baking powder (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, fumaric acid), corn syrup solids. Contains less than 2% of: salt, potassium sorbate and calcium propionate (preservatives), monoglycerides, dough conditioner (salt, wheat starch, enzymes), l-cysteine hydrochloride.

Even my health food store tortilla shells are full of extra ingredients to keep them soft!

where to buy clean tortilla shellsYou could make them yourself.  All you need is Masa Flour and water.   If you're feeling adventurous, here's a great tutorial on how to make your own tortillas.  However, if you're like me, taco night is all about: easy and simple.  So, I stock up on clean non-gmo corn tortillas from Taco Farm, a local taco joint.



They're made from 3 ingredients:  Masa Flour (Whole grain corn), salt and water.  I can order them as "take out" or pick them up on certain days at my local health food store.



where to buy clean tortilla shells
Sometimes, eating clean AND convenient means thinking out of the store.  Think about who makes authentic tortillas in your town and give them a call.  Ask if they sell locally.  Taco Farm now sells tortillas in my local health food store and a local Euro grocer.

If they don't, ask if you can buy direct, stock up and freeze.  They defrost in just a few minutes. Heat them up in a frying pan, and may you enjoy many clean Taco Tuesdays to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.