The Importance of Rotating Your Greens and a Low-Oxalate Smoothie



I am a creature of habit.  I tend to do the same things over and over again.  For example, everyday I go on the same walk...35 minutes down the path, along the forest, up the staircase and down the hill.  I like it.  There's lots of trees, lots of shortcuts home should I suddenly need to pee, and the sidewalks are wonderfully even!

I also tend to bring the same lunch with me to work and I always order the same thing at the Indian restaurant (whilst reading the menu fully intending to try something new).

Habits can be a good thing.  They can help start each day off right or leave you prepared to fend off the 3pm cravings. And, sometimes, those good habits can even get you into trouble.

If you think about it, mankind was meant to eat seasonally.  As one crop finished, another began.  This allowed us to rotate through a variety of nutrients throughout the year.  But these days, we have access to the same seasonal foods all year round.  This has changed how food impacts our bodies.

Not "rotating our crops" can cause health problems in some, especially if one is already experiencing gut problem (where the body is not eliminating toxins properly) or if one has lost specific strains of good bacteria (through antibiotic use) meant to naturally degrade toxins in foods. 

Why would beautiful perfect fruits and vegetables have toxins?  Think of it as a natural built-in pesticide.  Bugs don't like sharp oxalates, therefore, oxalates protect certain crops.  Our body was wonderfully made to rid itself of these oxalates, but when things get out of whack (excess amounts or inability to process), kidney stones and storage of oxalates in body tissues happens....and as some of you know, that is NOT fun!

To solve this problem, some have advocated a diet free from fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts.  Wouldn't a more reasonable approach be to switch to low-oxalate versions of healthy foods?  There are so many options that it would be insane to suggest completely banning "healthy foods". For example:

-I used to love spinach in my smoothies yet Bok Choy delivers that same neutral taste without the super massive amounts of oxalates.
-Within the kale family, lacinto or dinosaur kale has tested as lower oxalate.
-Instead of chards, choose collard greens.
-If you like peppers, go for the reds.
-Try sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.
-Switch out traditional pepper for white peppercorns.

Eating a healthy low-oxalate diet is doable.  After three weeks of using the most up-to-date accurate research on oxalates, I finally feel better.  The pain in my back, side and gut is almost gone. 

If you don't suffer from oxalate issues, I urge you to consider the importance of "rotating your crops". This is beneficial for many reasons, beyond preventing kidney stones and oxalate build-up.  EatLocalGrown says this about the benefits of eating seasonally:

"When you eat with the seasons you can enjoy a rainbow of colorful and diverse foods in your diet as well as providing your body with a wide variety of important vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that you need to maintain vibrant health. Eating seasonal foods helps to support our bodies natural cleansing and healing abilities. For example spring weather offers many tasty leafy greens and vegetables like dandelion greens, spring onions, and spring garlic which are great healing foods for helping detoxify your liver and cleanse your blood".

(For 3 more benefits check out the whole article.)

On that note...I'll leave you with one of my new favorite low-oxalate smoothies:



Apple-Cherry Low-Oxalate Green Smoothie

by Less Sugar Naturally


Ingredients:
1 to 2 heads of Baby Bok Choy
1 small organic apple, cored
1/2 cup of frozen pitted cherries
juice from half a lemon
1/2 inch piece of frozen grated ginger
1 tsp of coconut butter
1 Tbsp of sunflower seed butter
1/2 cup of ice
3/4 cup of water to taste
optional:  1 Medjool date or a couple drops of stevia

Add everything to a Vitamix or other high powered blender. Adjust water and ice amounts to suit your taste.

*** In case you're wondering...here's a link for Mason Jars Daisy Lids***






2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog when I was feeling horrible! After reading your post about spinach and oxalates, I started researching oxalates and made some drastic changes in my diet. Within a few days, I started to feel better. Now, I feel back to normal! I like this follow-up post because it addresses how you can still eat veggies and fruits while eating low levels of oxalates. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped. It's crazy how something so good for you can start making you feel so bad... AND it's crazy how people will go the other extreme and completely write off veggies. It took me 3 weeks before I started feeling better and I still have off days or hours...but the good days are getting longer. I urge anyone who suspects this to have a look at http://www.lowoxalate.info . I couldn't have figured this out without them and the yahoo low oxalate community.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.