A Really Good Gluten-Free Cookie




As you may have noticed (by the plethora of cookie recipes on my blog), cookies hold a dear place in my life.  Along with taco Tuesday, they are a weekly ritual in our house.   When I began following the Blood Sugar Solution program to reverse my diabetes, cookies ceased to exist in our house.  Eventually, I let my son bake them, but only if he kept them out of sight.  Let's just say, I found cookies in many odd places.

 Once my blood sugars were under control,  I continued to eat very low gluten... not because I have a sensitivity, but simply because it makes avoiding starchy carbs (pasta, bread, donuts, etc) A WHOLE LOT easier (starchy carbs=sugar=diabetes for me).  I'm not perfect.  I do eat gluten sometimes, but it better be something pretty darn special!

Because I like my occasional treats, I began searching for a good gluten-free cookie.   I tried so many recipes... cookies made from beans... cookies made from weird tasting flour.... most of it was pretty gross!  The packaged gluten-free cookies weren't any better.  They were full of sugar and funny conditioning ingredients.

I'm happy to say, that after 7 long months of experimenting, our family has a favorite gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe.   I say "our family" because my son and I always rotate cookie duty.  One week he makes his sugary flour-filled chocolate chip cookies (and yes... they do fall under the pretty darn special category) and the next week, I make the healthier cookies.    The family is happy with both!

These are lower sugar cookies, NOT low sugar.  I settled on a combination of gluten-free oats, brown rice flour and coconut flour.  It took a lot of experimenting to get just the right proportions of ingredients.  I also like making this recipe with yogurt, but I'm often out, and make it dairy-free with applesauce.  The chocolate chips are also dairy-free.




Really Good Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Less Sugar Naturally

Dry:
1 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of coconut flour
2 cups of gluten-free oat flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of cinnamon

Wet:
1 cup of softened butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tbsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of SweetLeaf stevia (2 squirtfulls)
1/3 cup of yogurt or applesauce

Yum:
60 grams of mini chocolate chips
Optional:  1/4 cups of small walnut pieces.

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.  Combine dry ingredients
3.  Combine wet ingredients
4.  Add wet to dry
5.  Add chocolate chips
6.  Drop cookies by the tablespoonful
7.  Bake for 8 minutes until brown.
8.  Allow to completely cool on racks.   I like them cold out of the fridge!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.