Thai Cauliflowerful Soup

diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup

Please note:  This soup is diabetic-friendly, dairy-free and gluten-free.  It can also be vegan by leaving out the fish sauce and roasted red chili paste.  For a lower glycemic load you can leave out the roasted red chili paste.

-------------------------

I

am

officially

sick

of

winter.

diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
Genuine Canadian snowbank

Go away Polar Vortex!!!!

I just want to see green again.

Green like these leeks.

If you look really close you can see summer in them.


diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup


By the way....

That wasn't a genuine Canadian snowbank.

It was a cauliflower.

The one I used to make my Thai Cauliflowerful Soup.

 Soup is the only good thing about winter.


-----------------------------


diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
This soup uses ingredients that were once waaaay out of my comfort zone....Fish sauce (ew!), coconut milk, red curry paste, and roasted red chili paste.

Each adds wonderful unique flavours to food.

It is mostly made up of roasted cauliflower.  Have you ever had roasted cauliflower?  It's incredibly yummy and addictive.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  Cauliflower can be addictive.  Don't believe me?  Then go roast some!

Roasted Cauliflower
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a big pot melt 1/4 cup of coconut oil.  Turn your heat off.
  3. Wash your cauliflower in warm water (otherwise your coconut oil will harden on contact).  Rinse and drain.  
  4. Cut into small pieces including the stems.
  5. Toss cauliflower in coconut oil until well coated.  
  6. Spread unto a couple of baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt.  Set pot aside for later.
  7. Bake until golden brown....about 30 minutes
  8. Now try a piece.  Don't say I didn't warn you....and save some for the soup!


    Thai Cauliflowerful Soup

    Recipe by Less Sugar Naturally


    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soupIngredients:

    2 heads of cauliflower (about 2 kg or 4.8 lbs raw total) roasted in 1/4 cup of coconut oil
    3 large leeks, cut up and rinsed
    Juice of half a lemon
    4 Tbsp of Red Curry Paste
    2 Tbsp of Fish Sauce
    1 can of coconut milk (regular or light.  I use regular)
    8-10 cups of vegetable stock (start off with 8)
    1 can of chickpeas or pinto beans
    1 tsp of salt or to taste 


    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
    Instructions:

    Add leeks to the same pot that you used to toss your cauliflower.  There should be enough oil left in there still.   Saute until soft...about 5 minutes.

    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
    Add salt, curry paste, chili paste and fish sauce.  Stir.


    Note: If you left out the fish sauce and chili paste, increase the curry paste up to 6 tablespoons.
    Add your roasted cauliflower and stir.

    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
    Add coconut milk and stir.

    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
    In a blender blend chickpeas/pinto beans with a few cups of the stock.  Blend until smooth.  Add to the pot.

    With the remaining stock, puree the rest of the soup except for one quarter of the cauliflower mixture.  I like having some cauliflower chunks in my soup.

    You can do this in your blender or use an immersion hand blender.

    diabetic friendly Thai cauliflower soup
    Stir well.

    Adjust stock to texture.

    Adjust salt to taste.  

    Enjoy!

    Makes about 12 servings and freezes well.

    w/ Full Fat Coconut milk:
    218 calories
    11 grams of fat
    21 carbs (including 5 grams of fiber)

    With light coconut milk:
    182 calories
    8 grams of fat
    21 carbs (including 5 grams of fiber)


    3 comments:

    1. yeah, I just ewwed the fish sauce..thing is I like eating oriental type foods and I am sure I have had something with it in there it's just the thought of putting it in myself..lol. Doing the 10 day detox so maybe after that I might like trying some of things things but right now I am ewwing the cauliflower roasted or in soup..lol.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, I can't stand the smell of fish sauce but I don't mind the taste. I do attempt to try everything at least once. It's really opened my eyes to a lot of new foods. Remember to experiment with any recipe like these soups by adding more stock or adding other veggies like cabbage and celery to suit your tastes.

        Delete
    2. My husband is not a huge fan of cauliflower. Doesn't hate it but wouldn't order it off of a menu. I, however, crave it periodically. This is definitely on my list for when the next 'craving' hits.

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.