Watermelon and Feta


Watermelon and Fets Salad

Summer is coming to an end and I’m feeling a bit gloomy :(

Not because soon we'll trade in our flip flops for boots….but because it's time to say goodbye to in-season fruit.

Growing up I was never much of a fruit lover. The sweetness of fruit always tasted too complex for me and I preferred the sweetness of sugary treats. It pains me to think of all the withered fruit that died in the back of my fridge. I always bought it with good intentions…but somehow I’d forget about it or was never in the mood.

My first sugar-free summer has been completely different. My taste buds now love the taste of fruit and our family goes through tons of it. At least once a week, we make the trek to my favourite produce store, where we buy a huge bag of cherries, an equally huge bag of grapes and 2 baskets of whatever was in season. Oh and a watermelon. Can’t forget the weekly watermelon.

I’ve always loved watermelon. If I could only bring one fruit with me on a deserted island it would be watermelon. Watermelon is God’s way of telling us we need more picnics and potlucks. It’s like a party in a package.

 Growing up, we ate watermelon in wedges, spitting out the seeds all over the place, juice dripping down our chin, leaving the ants in glee who were just too happy to clean up after us.

Watermelon and Fets Salad
Then I met my husband. His family ate watermelon differently. 

His mom would carefully cut the rind off each piece and serve it to us in bowls. Apparently, this is the “correct” way to eat watermelon.

Then feta was served with it. Feta and watermelon?

I tried a little piece just to be polite and was instantly hooked.  The salty cheese combined with the sweet watermelon is perfection!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.