Double Chocolate Chip Cookie


low sugar double chocolate chip cookes

A Chocolatey Cookie that will win over even the pickiest eater!

Besides being a bottomless pit, Sugar-Loving Teen is also...well...a cookie lover.  I once awkwardly walked in on him moaning in front of the laptop, only to find he had googled "cookies" and had clicked on "images".

Needless to say, he wasn't too welcoming about my decision to makeover the family diet.  Baking for a sugar divided family presents a special challenge. If everyone is not on board with being sugar-free, you end up with two entirely different sweetness levels of taste buds. The more time that passes, the more ridiculous the other side's opinion of a food's sweetness seems.....and a war of words can ensue.
  • "Does it have sugar in it?"
  • "It's okay, but it doesn't taste sweet enough"
  • "If you ate sugar, you wouldn't be tired right now"
  • "Can you buy some Pillsbury dough for me?"
  • "I'd rather eat the cookies the girls at school buy me"
..... (screeching brakes....) Oh no you didn't!

low sugar double chocolate chip cookes
I felt like a failed mother. I missed seeing the cookie joy I used to bring that boy. I decided to compromise and made him his own frozen cookie dough that he could make himself in the toaster oven.   At least I knew they were made with clean ingredients.

So....he had his cookies and we had ours. Peace was in the house again.

Then the impossible happened.....one day Sugar-Loving Teen ate all our cookies.  There I found him, crumbs on his shirt, mouth stuffed, uttering, "But they're so good!" over and over.   I didn't know if I should ground him for eating all our cookies or gloat in my victory!

Low-Sugar Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

*Recipe by Less Sugar Naturally*
Makes 26 cookies

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup of whole wheat cake & pastry flour
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of cocoa
1/2 cup hazelnut meal (can be made by finely chopping nuts in a food processor)
1/2 tsp of baking soda
pinch of sea salt

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of sucanat
1 heaping cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp of vanilla
3/4 tsp of SweetLeaf Liquid Regular or Chocolate Stevia

Additional ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup (60 grams) of 70% or higher cocoa content chocolate chips

low sugar double chocolate chip cookes
Instructions:

1. In a bowl, combine the flours, cocoa, hazelnut meal, baking soda and salt.

2. In another bowl combine the applesauce, butter, sucanat, vanilla, and optional stevia.

3. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

4. Stir low sugar double chocolate chip cookesin the chocolate chips and oats.

5. Make 24 golf ball size cookies. Press down with a fork before baking.

6. Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

7. Let cool and enjoy!

low sugar double chocolate chip cookes
For a special treat or for entertaining guests ... Crumble a cookie in a bowl and add one scoop (1/4 cup) of low-sugar homemade vanilla bean ice cream! So Good!








Do you have picky eaters? How do you compromise to keep a happy house?



low sugar double chocolate chip cookes


Nutrition Info per cookie
2 grams of added sugar
1 gram of Fiber

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried substituting regular flour for almond meal to achieve a low-carb cookie? I am in the process of removing grain from my diet, and the thought of not eating cookies makes me want to bake a dozen and eat them all in one sitting! looking for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have. In fact I have a recipe that I'll post soon. I'm working on a product review right now and I've put that recipe next on my list! Thank you for the inspiration!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.