Broccoli Salad


A Low-Sugar Broccoli Salad perfect for dinners and potlucks


Whenever I'm invited to a potluck, I'm asked to make my broccoli salad. This salad is so kid-friendly even my children's pickiest-eater friends love it! I love the fact that it make us eat lots of raw broccoli. The only problem is ... my old recipe had a ton of sugar.

I believe I owe broccoli a deep apology for this.

Broccoli you are beautiful just the way you are, and I'm deeply sorry.


Moving on...

My old recipe had 18 grams of added sugar per serving!

Sometimes recipes need a whole makeover. Others, like this one, just need the sugar run out of broccoli-town!

Here's how I make it now:

Low-Sugar Broccoli Salad

Makes 6 servings


Ingredients:

1 Large head of broccoli
1/2 cup of red onion (or to taste)
1/4 cup of peanuts
1/3 lb of bacon (diabetic-friendly substitute:  turkey bacon or try coconut bacon)
1/3 cup of Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp on Sucanat
1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia to taste (I use 10 drops)

Instructions:

1. Fry up some bacon or get your coconut bacon ready.

2. Chop up the broccoli head including the stem (just remove the yucky parts off).

3. In a small bowl combine sugar, mayonnaise and vinegar. Stir well.

4. In a large bowl combine all ingredients together.

5. If you have the patience or time, allow the broccoli salad to sit in fridge for a couple of hours.

Yay! This broccoli salad now only has 4 grams of sugar per serving instead of 18!

It's times like these that make me realize the ridiculousness of sugar. This broccoli salad is packed with fiber, nutrients and so much flavour! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.