Low Sugar Sweet Marie Bars



Healthy low sugar sweet marie bars

This past weekend was boatloads of fun. I had a house full of unexpected guests. Normally this would have meant me running out to the store to pick up a bunch of boxed dessert bars.  Dessert bars have between eight to ten grams of sugar per tiny serving!  I decided to make my own.

Instead of being all stressed out, I was full of glee. I had a whole slew of loving but opinionated victims guests to try some recipes on.



Healthy low sugar sweet marie bars
I headed over to my one of my favourite blogs... Chocolate Covered Katie, and gave her No-bake Peanut Butter Pretzel bars a try.  I used a little less honey....added some dates....and the result was a hit with everyone!

The result also reminded me of the Sweet Marie Bars I used to make which consisted of a million cups of corn syrup and brown sugar.   Here's my version that's 100% goodness.


Healthy Low-Sugar Sweet Marie Bars

*Recipe by Less Sugar Naturally*
Makes 24 bars


Ingredients:

- 10 Medjool dates (160 grams)
- 1 cup of quick oats (90 grams)
- 2 cup of Nature's Path Crispy Rice (Why this cereal? See here)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 Tbsp of honey
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 5 Tbsp of Peanut Butter (or other nut butter)
Topping:
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp of Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) of 70%+ cocoa content chocolate chips
-  pinch of salt

Healthy low sugar sweet marie barsInstructions:

1. Pit and cut up dates.

2.   Pulse oats until it looks like a coarse flour. Add the dates and pulse until well combined.

Healthy low sugar recipes
3.  In a large saucepan, melt butter, honey, peanut butter, salt and vanilla together. Stir until well combined.

4.  Add oats/dates mixture and crispy rice.  Mix well

Healthy low sugar sweet marie bars
5.  Press the mixture into a dish (about 9 x 6 inch) by using your fingers, flat cup, baggie or parchment paper.









Chocolate topping

6.  In a small saucepan or microwaveable bowl melt coconut oil,  peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Add a pinch of salt and stir.

7.  Pour on bars and spread by moving the dish around until evenly coated.

8.  Refrigerate a couple of hours until topping is hard.



Healthy low sugar sweet marie bars
Nutrition Info per bar
2.5 grams of sugar
1 gram of fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.