Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


homemade low sugar stevia ice cream

The secret to making the best Low-Sugar Ice Cream Ever!




If I’d have to pick my favourite healthy kitchen gadget, it would have to be my ice cream maker. Why?  Because, low-sugar natural ice cream is impossible to buy.

So what's so bad about No-Sugar-Added store bought Ice Cream?

Let's compare.  Here's the ingredients in Breyers no-sugar-added ice cream:

MILK INGREDIENTS, MALTODEXTRIN, POLYDEXTROSE, WATER, SORBITOL, GLYCERINE, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, PURE GROUND VANILLA BEANS, NATURAL FLAVOUR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CARRAGEENAN, SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA BRAND)

Here’s what you need to make vanilla ice cream:

WHIPPING CREAM, MILK, VANILLA, SUGAR

While there are a handful of natural organic ice cream brands out there, most ice cream sold in stores today is full sugar, chemicals, preservatives and artificial sweeteners like splenda.  The only other option is to make your own.....and that's why I love my ice cream maker.

So what's the secret to making the very best ice cream?


Organic cream!

You would think that milk is milk and that cream is cream…. right?

Well, let's compare again.   Here's the ingredients list on my regular store bought 35% cream.

Homemade low sugar stevia ice creamCream, milk, dextrose, carrageenan, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, polysorbate 80, sodium citrate, disodium phosphate



Here's the ingredients in organic cream:

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
Cream








So, what's Polysorbate 80 and Carrageenan?   These are added to thicken, stabilize, and give a better “mouth-feel” to processed food. Yet, numerous studies have shown that they contribute to or cause inflammation in the colon and the stomach. Mouth feel vs. stomach feel … what would you rather?

cream with no additives
If I can’t buy organic, I buy Hewitt's (sold in Ontario) 100% preservative-free and  additive-free dairy.  It’s the next best thing to organic dairy without the sticker shock.








Why does homemade ice cream have a waxy taste?


Homemade ice cream can sometimes leave a film or waxy taste in your mouth. In my experience, there are two reasons for this.

Polysobacrapageenan….I think all those ingredients that are suppose to help with “mouth feel” actually give it waxy film. How do I know this? When I switched over to organic cream and I didn't have that waxy film anymore.  Organic cream makes amazingly clean tasting ice cream.

Over-churning….It’s taking too long for your ice cream to freeze and essentially it starts turning into butter. Doing the following has drastically reduced the time my ice cream maker takes to make a batch:
  • Make sure all your equipment is frozen. I leave my attachment in the freezer all the time. Add paddles to freezer atleast an hour beforehand.
  • Chill your ice cream mixture before using. This includes the vanilla, sugar, and any other ingredients you add.
  • Chill any chocolate pieces, fruit, etc, you might be adding to the ice cream for an hour beforehand.
  • Avoid making ice cream on a blistering hot day. It’ll just take longer to make, which leads to more churning.
  • If you still find a waxy taste, take your ice cream out of the machine a little sooner than usual and freeze. With a bit of practice, you’ll figure it out.

My best tip for making homemade low-sugar ice cream


Here’s the problem. Without lots of sugar, ice cream gets really hard, really fast.   After a few days it's virtually un-scoop-able.  So, I freeze my ice cream in silicone muffin molds. This way the ice cream is already portioned out and they easily pop out and store in Ziploc freezer bags.

To sweeten ice cream you can use a variety of ingredients. I usually start off with 2 tablespoon of sugar and then add stevia.  Sometimes I add ripe bananas or Medjool dates which I've pulsed in a blender or food processor with a bit of milk until pulverized.

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
I use the Kitchenaid ice cream stand mixer attachment.  It's always in my freezer and ready to go. I love it and highly recommend it if you have a stand mixer. You can find it on Amazon or Amazon Canada where I bought mine.






One thing’s for sure, no matter what method you use, low-sugar or not, once you make your own ice cream you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff.



Low-Sugar Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


Ingredients:
  • 500 ml of organic 35% cream
  • 250 ml of milk (I used 2%)
  • one vanilla bean
  • one teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 2-3 Tbsp of sugar
  • 20 drops of SweetLeaf or Nunaturals Liquid Stevia
  • 30 grams of 70% cocoa content chocolate chunk

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
Instructions:

Overnight or a few hours before, put the contents of one vanilla bean (including the pod) into a container of whipping cream.

Take out empty pod, and add all the ingredients into a container. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
Turn on your ice cream maker and slowly pour the vanilla mixture in.

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
When your ice cream is done quickly stir in the chocolate chunks with a rubber spatula.

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
Quickly fill silicone molds and freeze.   I use these Wilton Easy Flex Silicone 6 Cup Muffin Silicone Pan found here on Amazon or Amazon Canada.  

Homemade low sugar stevia ice cream
In a couple hours, pop out, store in a Ziploc, and freeze.


Nutritional Info:
3- 4 grams of sugar per serving

6 comments:

  1. thanks! I'm trying to make my first batch without much added sugar or chemicals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to make ice cream with low to no sugar, but the freezing part is the problem. How can I freeze the ice cream for more than a few days without it becoming a brick? Is there not an ingredient that simulates sugar in ice cream... not for taste but the preservation of the texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried keeping the majority of the mixture in a sealed container in the fridge, only pouring out a few portions into those moulds one day at a time to freeze for the next day. Seems to be working a treat

      Delete
  3. I think your muffin pan idea is a great one. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I used rice malt syrup as the sweetener. It amazing! Also have frozen in separate patty pans - great tip!
    Kate - in Australia ☺️.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alcohol won't freeze, so it can help keep low-sugar ice creams from getting too hard. Ice cream guru David Lebovitz recommends no more than three tablespoons of 40-proof liquor per quart of ice cream base. He also recommends using vodka if you don't want to interfere with the ice cream's flavors,

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.