Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad


Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad

A Kale Salad with a Twist or Two

Please note: "Diabetic Friendly" means that a recipe can be easily adapted to those struggling with blood sugar levels.  You might have to omit or add ingredients to make it appropriate for you.  For example I personally omit/pick out the cranberries.  I am not a doctor or nutritionist so please follow your doctors instructions.

Whenever we make the trip to Toronto, I get to stop by one of my favourite grocery stores ... Whole Foods.  I feel like a kid in a candy store.  That's where I got my inspiration for this Kale Quinoa salad. It's a combination of 2 salads that I bought and loved.

Kale is so much better than iceberg, romaine, or spinach. Not because it's more nutritious (which it is), but get this.... it doesn't wilt! That means you can make big batches for the week, pack it in your lunch, or make it the day before a party. This salad actually tastes better the second day!

Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad


It combines the nuttiness of the quinoa and almonds, with the tantalizing sweetness of the sweet potatoes and cranberries...all held together in a bed of kale. The result is really a complete meal!

Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato SaladFirst, you'll need to roast a couple of sweet potatoes. Cut them into 1/4 inch slices. I spray them with some olive oil. Add salt & pepper to taste. The pepper really adds a nice kick to the sweet potatoes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until cooked but not mushy. Allow to cool, cut up into small bite size pieces, and refrigerate.

Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad
Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato SaladYou'll also need to make a small batch of quinoa.  I use my rice cooker to make it. Add 1/2 a cup of rinsed quinoa to 1 cup of water. Cook and cool completely.

For a nice kick, I use hot balsamic vinegar in the dressing. I picked this one up from a store called Taste the 4th Sense.

It makes this salad taste amazing, but you can use regular balsamic with a pinch of cayenne instead!

Kale Quinoa Salad

*Recipe by Less Sugar Naturally*


Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad
Ingredients:

1 large head of chopped Kale
1/2 uncooked quinoa, cooked in 1 cup of water - cooled
1 large Sweet Potato, cooked, cooled, and cut up
1/4 cup of dried cranberries (diabetic friendly tip:  omit or sub with pomegranate seeds)
1/4 cup of almonds
A big handful of chopped parsley

    Dressing:

    1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp hot balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
    2 cloves of garlic - minced
    1 tsp honey
    salt & pepper to taste
    juice from half a lemon

    Kale Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad
    Instructions

    Just prepare the quinoa and sweet potato in advance. Allow to cool.

    When you're ready, assemble the salad and toss in the dressing.

    Just before serving, squeeze juice from half a lemon.

    1 comment:

    1. I just found your blog and am enjoying reading about your journey. I've been striving for less sugar in my family's diet. We eat mostly whole foods, so it's all a part of the journey. I'm looking forward to trying this salad!

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.