Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars

My version of a Larabar, but with oats to lessen the natural sugar load


A couple of weeks ago, I was watching an episode of The Biggest Loser. I have a love-hate relationship with this show. I love the inspirational stories, but I hate the cheesy product placement ads. Usually this involves gum or protein shakes, and an awkwardly scripted conversation between contestants and their beloved trainer,who happens to be strolling by during a moment of hunger.

On this particular episode, I inadvertently let my guard down and got sucked in by the marketing department! Featured, were Larabars, a freak of packaged nature, made with very few, simple, wholesome ingredients. Come on! There's gotta be a catch!

I put on my food detective badge and off to research I went. Was it really possible that a wholesome packaged snack/energy bar existed....with no added sugar???
 
homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars

Over the next few days, I fervently searched for every Larabar I could find.   This was a huge discovery!  I try to bake most things from scratch, but I'm always on the look out for convenient products....something that I can keep in my purse/lunch bag for those 'hit the wall' moments.

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars
Needless to say, the Larabars were amazing and made from really simple clean ingredients like dates.   Thus began my love affair with Medjool dates.  On my next visit to the grocer, I picked up a pack which sat in my fridge for a week. I didn't know what to do with them.

Frankly they reminded me of cockroaches.

I tried a few online Larabar recipes but I was concerned with the amount of natural sugar in dates.  I wanted a little fiber and protein...and voila!

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars
These are ridiculously fast to make...10 minutes tops, no baking involved and they are amazing! The kids love them.  I love them.

What's great is that you can make a bunch ahead of time, freeze them and pack them up in school and work lunches!

 

 

 

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars

*Recipe by Less Sugar Naturally
Makes 14 Bars

Ingredients:

- 260 grams of pitted Medjool dates (about 20)
- 1 1/2 cups (130 grams) of quick oats
- 125 grams of peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 35 grams of finely chopped pecans (or any nuts)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 60 grams (about 1/2 cup) of 70%+ cocoa content chocolate chips

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat LarabarsInstructions:

1. Pit and chop dates.

2. In a food processor, pulse oats until finely chopped.

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars
3.  Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until you can form a sticky ball.

homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars
4.   Dump into a baking dish (no bigger than 11x7in) and use your fingers and the bottom of a flat cup to press flat.

5.  Refrigerated for an hour.

6.  Cut into 14 snack bars








homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oat Larabars


Nutritional Info per bar
3.3 grams of fiber
1 gram of added sugar from the chocolate chips

2 comments:

  1. How much is 260 grams of pitted dates in terms of cups?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say because different dates could yield different measurements so weight is the best way to measure. I use the big Medjool dates. They are approximately 12-14 grams each pitted. So I would use 20 big Medjool dates. I hope that helps.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.