Easy Meals: Chana Masala

Easy Meals Homemade Chana Masala


Chana Masala .... A quick meal ready in 20 minutes

Please note that this recipe has recently been updated to be diabetic-friendly and vegan.  I think it's even better with the coconut milk! 

Like most families...life is hectic. With work, school, and everything in between, by the time we get home, we're all exhausted . No one wants to make supper, especially a healthy one.

That's when I turn to my Chana Masala. It is the quickest, most wholesome meal to prepare EVER!

This recipe was inspired by my fabulous friend Susie from All Things Tea. Not only does she carry the very best loose leaf tea in Canada, she also carries the freshest quality spices too.  I met Susie at her tea shop right after I went sugar-free. One minute we were chatting about my going cold turkey on Crystal Light, and the next, I had some Garam Masala, cumin seeds, and her recipe for Chana Masala in hand.    I LOVE Indian cuisine, but the closest I'd come to making it was pouring it from a jar.  Well....Sugar-Free Teen and I were instantly hooked!

Susie's recipe is on her fantastic blog Tea and Spice and All Things Nice.  I love her blog because it pushes me to try new things with spices. Spices make meals exciting and the layering of spices in Indian inspired cuisine will make you fall in love with real food!

Since January 2014 I've adapted this recipe to be diabetic friendly (so please ignore the large amount of white rice pictured above). A quick google of Chana Masala recipes reveals to me that everyone makes it differently so I feel this version still works.   I've added more veggies.... lots of celery and strained tomatoes.  You can even throw in some extra cabbage too.  Either way, it's a perfect healthy recipe for those cold tired nights.


Veggie Chana Masala


Recipe inspired by Tea and Spice and All Things Nice

"Diabetic Friendly" means that a recipe can be adapted by those watching their blood sugar levels. You might have to omit or add ingredients to make it appropriate for you. I am not a doctor or nutritionist so please follow your doctors instructions.  

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil.
  • 2 Spanish onions.
  • 5 large celery stalks chopped up
  • Optional:  Big handful of chopped cabbage
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp of ginger paste
  • 1 Tbsp of Kasuri Methi leaves (aka Fenugreek Leaves - Inexpensive at Asian-Indian food stores)
  • 2 Tablespoons of Garam Salaam
  • 1 Tablespoon of Whole Cumin Seeds
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
  • 1 680ml bottle of Passata (strained tomatoes)
  • 1 can of coconut milk  (or 1 cup of Greek plain yogurt)
  • 2 Tbsp of ground coriander

Easy Meals Homemade Chana Masala
Instructions:

1.  Prepare your brown basmati rice according to package instructions.

2. Saute onion and garlic in coconut oil until it begins to soften.  Add the cumin and cook with onions for 1-2 minutes.  When they starts to soften add the celery and optional cabbage.  Continue to saute until soft.

3. Add the garam masala, ginger. Cook for an additional minute or two.

Easy Meals Homemade Chana Masala4. Add the chick peas, strained tomatoes and coconut milk (or yogurt). Simmer on low for 10 minutes

5. Add Coriander and Kasuri Methi leaves and salt to taste

6.  Serve with 1/3 of cup of brown basmati rice.

I'm going to be honest.  The rest of the family won't eat brown rice yet, so I make them white rice and use my pre-made frozen brown rice pucks.  See here for details.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.