Easy Beets


how to cook beets

So far, everything I've learned about beets, I've learned from Dwight Shrute, owner of Shrute Farms, and paper salesmen at The Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.

That's kind of sad, because beets are a hardworking and beautiful root vegetable.

First of all, the amazing colour tells us a lot about beets. That dark beautiful purplish-red (or is it reddish-purple?), shows us that it's full of antioxidants. In fact, beets are at the head of the class when it comes to this, due to their unusual mix of antioxidants. They are a super anti-inflammatory. Beet (as well as carrot) fiber is thought to be superior in cleaning out the digestive tract. Research has shown that beets are especially beneficial in the prevention of colon cancer. Beets also increase your blood flow. So, while beets are very high in natural sugar ... they certainly come wonderfully packaged!

I remember eating super sweet beets from a jar. My husband on the other hand, grew up eating beets with Skordalia - a really yummy potato garlic greek dip.
  • You can julienne them raw in salads, or grate them in slaws. 
  • You can boil them for about 15-30 minutes, and toss them with some balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and maybe add some feta or goat cheese. 
  • Or you can roast them for about 50-60 minutes, like I did today.

So what got me thinking about beets? Well, the show Cityline was highlighting seasonal fruits and vegetables.  That got me super excited (it really doesn't take much), because one of my goals is to eat more local and in-season fruits and veggies.

how to cook beets
Off I went to my local grocer and bought these beautiful organic local beets! Is it me, or do beets look like rats without heads? Eew!

Now, being a beet virgin, I did something really stupid. I threw away the leafy part. I had no idea that these make beautiful salad greens. Ignorance is not always bliss...oh well!


Here's how make super easy beets. 



Spicy Oven Roasted Beets.

*** Note: This recipe is not mine. Marilyn Smith featured this recipe on Cityline. Check out her seasonal guide here.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ lb (750 g) small-medium beets, peeled and cut into quarters, approx 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
  • 1 tbsp (15 mL) virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
  • 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
  • ½ tsp (2 mL) cracked black pepper
how to cook beets
Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Line an 9×13-inch metal baking pan with wet parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl whisk together: oil, turmeric, cinnamon, and cracked pepper. Add beets and toss until well coated.
how to cook beets
4. Place into prepared pan, scraping any extra oil onto the beets, and roast in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until desired tenderness

Now if only I could save up enough money to visit this place ... my beet bucket list would be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.