Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones

Low sugar scones

Sweet and tart...Low-Sugar scones perfect for breakfasts in Pajamas


Do you still have sleepovers? I do.  My best friend family visits and sleeps over. The kids have sleepovers....and during the summer we have sleepovers at mom and dad's cottage. This "sleepover" usually involves dad clanking pots and pans and making coffee, letting us sleep in, until 6 in the morning.

The highlight of sleepovers for me is always breakfast.  I'm always on the lookout for wholesome breakfast ideas and was intrigued when this recipe by Vanilla Kitchen showed up on my twitter feed. As I always do when I'm super-excited about a new recipe ... I run to my kitchen and immediately try to make it Less Sugar Naturally style.  The result was a scone to die for. Noticed I said "A" scone?

The truth is, this was my first time making scones.  I missed the part where you cut up the scones .... so, I ended up with a gigantic one! I cut them up and baked them some more. Double Baked Berry Scones. Goof aside, they were delicious! Too delicious, because I had two in a row! Oops.

These scones make great use of frozen berries. Frozen is ideal because it doesn't bleed or mush into the dough. You also want your butter very cold. That way it doesn't combine with the dough but rather melts into it leaving nooks and crannies behind. With some added zest and dark chocolate ... they're tantalizingly sweet and tangy.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Sleepover Scones


By Less Sugar Naturally - adapted from Vanilla Kitchen*

Ingredients:

1 cup of All Purpose Flour
1 cup of Whole wheat Cake & Pastry flour
2 Tbsp of sucanat
2 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp of salt
4 oz of cold (almost frozen) grated butter
3/4 cup of half and half cream or milk
20 drops of SweetLeaf or NuNaturals Liquid Stevia
1 cup of frozen raspberries, or any frozen berry cut up in small pieces
Zest from one lemon (For a lesson on zesting click here)
15 grams of 70%+ cocoa chocolate chunks

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees


2. Prep the following and keep in freezer until needed.
    low sugar Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones
  • Grate your butter 
  • Zest your lemon, 
  • Measure your berries.
  • Add stevia to half and half cream.




3. In a bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, salt, zest, and sucanat. Add to food processor.

4. Add butter and mix until dough is pea sized.

5. Add cream, and pulse very lightly for best results.


low sugar Dark Chocolate Raspberry Scones6. Dump the dough out onto a cookie sheet lined with a large piece of parchment paper. (At this point I'll still have a bit of loose flour).

Add frozen berries, and chocolate chip on top.

Quickly knead berries and chocolate into the dough just until combined.


7.  Form a circle about an inch thick.

8.   Slice and slightly separate into 8 pieces. If your dough has softened up too much, you might have to freeze it for 15-30 minutes.

9.   Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Low sugar scones


Nutrition Info
3.5 grams of fiber
2.75 grams of added sugar


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.