Chocolate Chip Banana Cake Oatmeal



healthy banana cake baked oatmeal

Mom's Chocolate Chip Banana Cake in a neat little breakfast package!


This past month, I ditched my 5 year morning soy protein shake habit in favor of "real" breakfast food. Although it was hard, it was the best decisions I ever made.  All this time,  me who loved food, had been missing out on some of the yummiest meals ever.

My breakfast dream was to become one of those cool people who ate oatmeal (not from a pouch) every morning. Unfortunately, everything I made turned out to be more like something you would use to put up wallpaper. What is it about oatmeal? Why couldn't I cook it properly?

I thought my oatmeal dreams were hopeless but found inspiration when I saw Chocolate Covered Katie's Boatmeal.   This method of making oatmeal is perfect ... more like a muffin or cake.   Plus, it's fun to say the word "boatmeal", early in the morning, when everyone is grumpy :)

As soon as I get up, I toss the ingredients together and throw the "boatmeals" into the toaster oven. While it's baking, I get ready or go do a quick workout.  Not only is it a decadent way to start my day, but I have the satisfaction of knowing we all started the day with a wholesome breakfast!  The best part....No one is hungry for hours!

Sugar-Free Teen and I have 3 versions of baked oatmeal that we love, and that's what I'll share with you this week.  The first one reminds me of mom's chocolate chip banana cake.

Chocolate Chip Banana Cake Oatmeal

*This recipe was altered from Chocolate Covered Katie's Baby Oatmeal Cakes.


Ingredients for two big portions:

1 cup of quick oats
1 tsp of cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk
1 tsp of vanilla
12 drops of SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia or NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Liquid Stevia
1 large or 2 small bananas, cut up
Optional: 2 tsp of butter
15 grams of 70%+ cocoa content chocolate chips

healthy banana cake baked oatmealInstructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Butter 2 ramekin dishes. I ALWAYS forget to do this!

3. Cut up bananas into bite size pieces

4. In a bowl mix cinnamon, salt and oats together.

5. In a measuring cup add stevia and vanilla to almond milk and stir.

6. Add all ingredients together and mix.

healthy banana cake baked oatmeal
7. Pile on high into the ramekin dishes

8. Bake for 20 minutes (I made these in a convection toaster oven. Add a few more minutes for a regular oven)

9. Let cool for 10 minutes and then eat up the fiber and fruit goodness.

Have company visiting or want to bake extras for the week? Triple the recipe to make six large baked oatmeals.

Here's a quick reference to triple the ingredients:

3 Cups of quick oats
3 pinches of salt
3 tsp of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of almond milk
36 drops of liquid stevia
3 tsp of vanilla
1 1/2 cups of applesauce
3 large bananas
Optional: 2 Tbsp melted butter
45 grams of chocolate chips


Other Baked oatmeal recipes you might be interested in:
Cinnamon Bun Baked Oatmeal
Chai Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal



healthy banana cake baked oatmeal

Nutrition Information

2 grams of added sugar from chocolate chips
7 grams of fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.