Homemade Stevia Soda Pop




Are you struggling with a daily pop habit?
Or, perhaps like me, you enjoy having an occasional fizzy drink.
If you're looking for alternatives to artificially sweetened pop, then you've come to right place!   Here's everything you need to know about Stevia Soda Pop...the bad and the good.



Stevia Sweetened Soda Pop



Homemade stevia pop Many stores now carry stevia sweetened beverages.  Notice the ingredients in one popular health food store soda "created with the miracle ingredient, stevia":

"Carbonated Water, Erythritol, Caramel Color, Tartaric acid, Reb A (Stevia Extract), Fumaric acid, Caffeine, Natural flavors, Nutmeg oil".

The main ingredient after water is erythritol, which manufacturers claim is "a naturally fermented sugar alcohol that’s found in grapes and pears”.  While this is true, most food grade erythritol is made by fermenting the natural sugar found in a cheaper, usually genetically modified ingredient, corn.

These products also claim to be sweetened with "stevia" but notice the stevia ingredient is actually "Reb A".  The FDA states this about Reb A products (here): “These products are not Stevia. In general, Rebaudioside A differs from Stevia in that it is a highly purified product. Products marketed as “Stevia” are whole leaf Stevia or Stevia extracts of which Rebaudioside A is a component.”

Do you find the labeling a bit misleading?  Sad to say, this is the case with most, if not all, "stevia" beverages  sold in stores.  That leaves only one option...homemade stevia soda pop.


Homemade Stevia Soda Pop



stevia soda
There are several ways to make your own homemade sparkling sodas.  First, you need a bottle of carbonated water or a Sodastream machine. 

I love my SodaStream.  It's solid and looks great with all my stainless steel appliances. 

There are no batteries or plugs to deal with and works by slowly releasing carbonated air as you need it.  I do recommend getting an extra carbonator canister.   This way,  you'll always have a canister ready when the other runs out.





Where to find the best deals on a SodaStream

First, click here to see if there's any Soda Makers available in the Sodastream US Outlet Store.  These great deals are usually 50% off retail prices.  If you see one of the cheaper models for sale, snap it up!

SodaStreams are so affordable now.  Check out these models on Amazon or
Amazon Canada



Next, you need flavor.  I recommend three sources:

1.  SweetLeaf offers many different flavors of stevia including Root Beer, Cola, Valencia Orange, Grape and Vanilla Creme. Between these you can make some interesting soda drinks.

2.   NuNaturals also makes a Vanilla Stevia that I love in my fizzy water.  

3.  Use natural detoxifying ingredients that are good for you and sweeten with SweetLeaf's Stevia Clear to taste.

Here's some links to my favourite home-made soda recipes:











10 comments:

  1. Awesome ideas, thank you! What do you think of using carbonated water + ground ginger root powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it that way. I might give that a try. Let me know if you do and how you found it. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice idea, but the sourness of lemon is REALLY bad for your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But still better than drinking conventional pop, or eating a slice of bread!

      Delete
    2. True! I always try to drink lemon beverages through a straw and it's a good idea to brush one's teeth after.

      Delete
  3. As for brushing ones teeth immediately after eating or drinking an "acidic" beverage nothing could be worse for the enamel on your teeth. The enamel actually softens when eating making the brushing process that much more damaging. If your concerned about the acid take a little baking soda w/water or your drink. Not only will it be good for your teeth but also help keep your body PH "alkaline"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make the lemon-lime soda all the time. I love it! For a caffeine pick-me-up I make a small pot of strong tea and keep it in the fridge. Then I mix some of the tea with my lemon-lime stevia soda - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy it! So many great DIY options out there better than pop.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post on making your own soda! I have found with every stevia sweetener that I tried has an aftertaste. Does the Sweet Leaf stevia sweetener brand have an aftertaste too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! SweetLeaf is without a doubt the best tasting stevia out there. I use the liquid as it's the easiest to control as too much stevia will give you an aftertaste :) Check out my stevia pages for more specific information on brands and baking with it.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below.